Sunday, November 16, 2008

Don't Smile

I wasn't going to blog tonight, but I have to record something that made me laugh.
We came home from a visit to Will's parent's house right around ten p.m. and Reesey was asleep in her car seat. I was hoping that she would stay sleepy while I fed her and would go right to sleep again. You all know that wasn't really going to happen. But when she was done feeding I wrapped her in a blanket and she actually was sleepy-eyed, so I put her in her crib, thinking that she would be able to get to sleep.
About ten minutes later, after Will and I were finished the weekly family blog-checking, I walked past Reesey's door and heard a loud sucking noise.
"She's awake," I said to Will. "She's sucking her fingers."
Will replied, "Good, maybe she'll suck herself to sleep."
Reese subsequently made some upset/crying noises.
"I think it's your turn," I said to Will.
"I don't want to go in there!" Will exclaimed, "She'll smile at me!"
When I started laughing at how absurd that argument sounded, he defended himself with a (quite serious) "What? You know she will."
-Which made me laugh even harder.

You see, when Reesey is in her crib and not happy, she is delighted to see Mommy or Daddy come to her rescue. The problem is, she'll start smiling when she merely sees one of us, before any amount of rescuing has taken place. This is a huge problem because we feel obligated to perform the action that she already seems to be thanking us for (picking her up). Thus, we both have a significant problem enforcing bed time when she does this.

It's been two and a half months and she's already got us both wrapped around her tiny finger.

"I don't want to go in there- She'll smile at me!"

No comments: