Monday, March 21, 2011

One Last Moment

Last post! Lets celebrate with something unusual.

Eee eEEEE eeeeeEE eeeeEE eee EEEEE

I have a friend who used to work at Jamba Juice, a smoothie shop. At Jamba you have the option to put a "boost" in your smoothie- basically add certain vitamins or something to make your drink healthier. At the time, they had a "femme boost" with calcium and iron, and folic acid. My friend told me about how the workers got all annoyed when someone would order the "fehm-mee" boost rather than the "femm" boost. After all, my friend noted, what word in the English language actually ends in a long "ee" sound when the only vowel at the end of the word is an actual e to make that sound?

What word indeed?

Ever since then I've taken special notice whenever I find such a word. I've come up with a short list.

Daphne
Penelope
Chloe
Phoebe
coyote
adobe
catastrophe
apostrophe
synecdoche
posse
recipe
maybe
me

There was one boy's name- but I can't remember what it was. So here's the challenge: What words can you think of that end in the letter "e" (not "ie" or "ee") that also end in the long e sound?


And how would you have pronounced the word "femme?"


If you don't know what this blog entry is about, here's the list. Check it out

No comments: