Thursday, December 17, 2009

First Words

For the record, Reese's first word was "hi." She uses it all the time. She used to walk down the halls of the institute building with me and wave and say "hi" to anyone and everyone. I think she made a lot of people's day.

She also frequently nods her head and says "yeah" when we ask her a question. "Reese, are you the cutest girl in the world?"- "yeah." She doesn't always- or even most of the time- know what we're saying, but I think she likes to feel included in the conversation, anyway.

She also says "mama" and "dada" but she doesn't know what they really mean, so it doesn't count. We play the game where we point to Daddy and say "dada" and then point to Mamma and say "mama" and then we point to Reese and say "Reesey". But it hasn't worked out the greatest. She thinks "mama" means "nose" because I usually point to my nose when I say it. I think she's catching on to dada, but once, when we said "where's Reesey?" instead of pointing to herself she covered her eyes because that's what we say in our version of peek-a-boo. So so far we don't count names as words.

Despite all the effort to get her to say our names, she caught on very quick yesterday when she was in the bath tub with her rubber ducky and I pointed to it and said "duck." I said "a duck says: quack quack quack quack." She repeated, "quack quack quack quack," and I was pretty excited so we kept saying "duck" and "quack" and she caught on. Today she even grabbed the duck and said "duck."

So officially: Hi, Yeah, Duck.

No comments: