Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Grab and Eat

As I've mentioned before, Reese likes to grab things and put them in her mouth. I don't know if I've mentioned that she likes to put a lot of things in her mouth at once. One time she tried to get her thumb, her binki and a toy in her mouth all at the same time.

I gave her a carrot to suck on. Since I usually only let her put plastic and fabric in her mouth, she was really interested in this for a while. But like I said, she stops what she's doing when the camera comes out, so the carrot is falling out of her mouth.

She used to try and get her fingers into her mouth while I spoon fed her. She would do this by sticking her fingers in her mouth as soon as she saw the spoon coming. She kept getting upset when she would almost get a bite of food and then I'd pull away as soon as her fingers got in the way. Eventually she learned that I wouldn't try to put the spoon in her mouth if her fingers were already there, but found that I would let her hold on to the spoon handle with me. I thought she started grabbing the handle simply to give her fingers somewhere to go besides her mouth. But the tricky little girl discovered that while her hand was on the spoon handle, she could slip her thumb under the end of the spoon so it would fit into her mouth along with the food. I discovered it pretty fast, so she started resorting to the not-so-subtle idea of slowly slipping her whole hand along the spoon handle until it got to her mouth. When mom successfully prevented any of these "finger and food" tactics, she resorted to grabbing the spoon and not letting it go. I had to use two spoons so that when she grabbed one I could use the other.

Reese with her spoon and the "I see the camera" look.


Two Spoons

No comments: