Sunday, May 8, 2011

Mother's Day

My mother is attentive. She's always there for her kids, even when inconvenient. Even when extremely inconvenient and super costly. And sometimes far away. And sometimes even when it conflicts with her anniversary celebration.

My mother is frugal. If she were in charge of the banks there wouldn't have been such an economic crisis. She's always looking for a deal or a steal, but never at the expense of someone else.

My mother loves cleanliness. She's really good at knowing exactly how to get that stain out or what to use to eliminate that odor what keeps things fresh for the longest. I consider her the expert and completely believe that "cleanliness is next to Godliness". I suppose that makes my mom a demigodess.

My mother can talk. No, not silly gossipy nonsense. She is engaging and sincere and disarming in a friendly conversation. I love talking to my mom precisely because the gift of gab is something that I myself am not blessed with as she is. And I wish I were.

My mother isn't afraid of work. You can't teach someone work ethics. It's something that you have to experience and practice. You can, however, be an example of it. My mother works hard. She works honestly. She's diligent. She never puts in half-hearted effort when she says she'll get something done. She's constantly going. It seems to me that she takes on the world every day.

My mother is a fabulous grandmother. I couldn't ask for a better gramma for my kids. I don't think they will, either. They love being around her and can tell she loves being around them.

My mother loves her family. Which is really something because every single one of us from Dad to Kenzie, the youngest of eight, is strong-willed and, at times, rebellious. I have been upset with her in my lifetime, (show me a kid who's never been mad at their mother!) but I have never once questioned weather or not she loves me.

My mother is supportive and tolerant. Strange combo to put in the same paragraph? No, because she's supportive of her children and husband even when she thinks what we're doing may be hair-brained. "What? You want to do soccer and try out for the community play while doing the school play and dance on the varsity ballroom team and take a trip to Disneyland while on tour for marching band and choir and doing research for your science project and running for student body office and shopping for a prom dress right after music lessons all before next Monday? Okay, I'll clear my schedule to give you a ride and start laundry to make sure your socks and jersey are clean." She's also good at planning.

My mother is smart. She knows that the point of school is learning and not grades. She makes sure to keep up with current events. She takes interest in the world an community. She likes games of strategy and not luck (though she claims that's simply because she never wins games of chance). She's good at researching. She passes on useful information.

I sure love my mom.

No comments: