Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Something You Regret

In high school I wanted to be in student government. I thought I had a chance at winning student body president, until I found out that Joel Dayton was running, who is only the most awesome guy in our senior class.

Even then I thought I might be able to pull out a win with my friends help and backing. Then Toni decided to run, too. Or she said her dad told her she needed to, even though she didn't appear to be interested in the post and didn't really campaign. Anyway, Toni was one of my good friends and as such stole a lot of my potential votes and support.

So I didn't win. But that's okay, because the student government teacher said that only those who ran for office would be considered for appointed positions. That narrowed the field considerably because not everyone who ran and lost would apply for an appointed post and those who won the elections obviously weren't in the running, either. So I applied.

Then, as it turns out, I think maybe one person appointed to an office actually ran for an elected post. I was SOOOOOO mad. And upset. I guess government at any level is just a popularity game that I wasn't good at.

And here's the part I regret: I didn't do anything. I don't think I would have been able to change a thing. It's not like the teacher would have been like, "Whoops! I guess we can kick out this other guy who didn't run and stick you in his place. Sorry about that!" But I wish I would have at least talked to her.
There's no way to make a difference if you don't try. But even if nothing would have changed for me, at least it may have brought the circumstances to the attention of the student government teacher. And then she could review it, like the ref in this Subway commercial:


Yeah. That would have been good.


If you don't know what this blog entry is about, here's the list. Check it out.

1 comment:

hosander said...

sorry. My regret is listening to my dad.