Sunday, January 16, 2011

Your Parents

This post has the potential to be disastrous, so I'll try and keep my current perspectives reigned in, rather than describing the transitions of feelings I've gone through over the years, particularly as a teen. I really do love my parents, even if I'm a normal kid and don't show it all the time.

One thing that I would first like to say is that I'm eternally grateful that my dad and mom are still together, still the same couple that raised me, still working through the rough times and the good- especially in a world where people think it's perfectly acceptable to call it quits if you're having a hard time. I can't thank you enough for continuing to love each other because even now, when I'm not at home, it gives me a sense of security and an anchor for aspirations in a world of turmoil.

Okay, done being teary-eyed. Mom: I know you don't like pictures of yourself very much, but too bad. You'll have to sacrifice for the sake of future generations.


When I was younger I wanted to be like my dad. Then I wanted to marry someone like my dad. Then I realized that my dad is simply one of a kind. I see, from my point of view, a hard-working, spiritual, brainiac man. He loves working in in yard. He loves to read. He generally has a pretty solemn disposition, which makes it a joy when I see him laugh and loosen up. The kids in my family will always remember and talk about how he used to make us cry when helping use with our math homework, because his logical thinking was over our heads or didn't match our way of thinking, but I've always wanted to be as smart and learned as him. He remembers school very fondly as he reminisces about all the opportunity to learn. He's always been an example for me of the importance, but also the fun, in learning.

I have to agree with Mark Twain: "When I was a boy of 14, my father was so ignorant I could hardly stand to have the old man around. But when I got to be 21, I was astonished at how much the old man had learned in seven years." Although my mother was never ignorant, I thought she was pretty crazy. As an adult I recognize what a thoughtful, strong woman she is. I called her once because I was really sick after having Liam, just to ask her to pray for me. She called my grandparents to come and get me and the kids so that she could look after them (and me) for a couple of days. I was so surprised that she would offer this loving gesture because I know she's always busy. I don't know if she understands how much it meant to me. That's just one example- my mom is always thinking of others and trying to do things better. I'm sure gonna miss her when I'm gone.


Currently my mom and dad have been transformed into "gramma" and "grampa". They're pretty awesome at these jobs.




(The following picture taken by Reese)



My mom and dad are pretty cool people.



If you don't know what this blog entry is about, here's the list. Check it out.

No comments: